Sunday, September 23, 2007

Book recommendations?

I'm putting out an all-points bulletin looking for book recommendations. Here's what I'm looking for: One long book to take to Australia to tide me over while traveling.

Long ones already read include: War and Peace, Gone with the Wind, Anna Karenina, Brothers K, Don Quijote, East of Eden, most John Irving, all Harry Potters (you can see more at goodreads.com).

Thinking about: Crime and Punishment, Hunchback, Les Miserables, Uncle Tom's Cabin, Dickens?

Any recommendations?

4 comments:

Beth said...

i recommend:

fiction: the mists of avalon - marion zimmer bradley

non: a people's history of the united states by howard zinn

Amy said...

Thanks! I've been eyeing Mists, good to have a recommendation for it :) I was looking for fiction, cuz I already had a nonfiction I was going to take, but I'd forgotten about People's History... hm... ;)

anna said...

these might not be the tomes you're looking for bust some of the best books ive read include:

fugitive pieces, by anne michaels
gilead, by marilynne robinson
their eyes were watching god, by zora neale hurston

for a lengthier bit, im going to start invisible man by ralph ellison--if you pick that, let's read it together!

the idiot by dostoevsky is fabulous.

Amy said...

Thanks for the recommendations, Anna! (Why didn't you mention any of them when we went used bookstore-ing on Sunday?!) I'd love to do a long-distance book club with you - maybe we can do The Invisible Man together in the spring?