Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Right - the Weekend

Sorry, got distracted by housemates. The weekend was good and low-key. Tried out a new synagogue, which consisted mostly of six people about my parents' age, including two Americans and a "Pom" (Brit), who were just thrilled that I was there. I got home just in time to swing by the Saturday Farmer's Market, on the way to which I ran into Alex and his friend Juliette, who were on their way back from buying supplies for a massive meal. I got my basics for the week and hurried back to help. It turned out to be, instead of the promised ratatouille, a tuna-couscous salad, which was excellent. (It was a hot day, so no one really felt like cooking ratatouille.) When Juliette left, Alex and I agreed to go into the city and run some errands together - but laze about first, of course. He went off to take a nap and I went off to lie on my bed and read - I ended up with the nap and he ended up watching a movie. But we successfully avoided the hottest part of the day and by the time we got into the city, it was getting a little chilly.

I think it's safe to say that Alex is my favorite cooking buddy. I try to hold off on making anything for dinner until he's home because he usually has a better idea and many ingredients to contribute. Sometimes we get the rest of the kids in the house in on it, too. Last night he and Mia made pumpkin soup that I also got to contribute to and which was sooooo yummy. Sunday we made breakfast burritos - and the tortillas. He's (almost too) willing to try making every part from scratch, as much as possible, an adventuresome spirit which I appreciate, even if it does mean it takes hours to make anything! To top it off, he doesn't mind much if I laugh at his accent "like it's the funniest thing you've ever heard," as he described my unbridled amusement ;)

2 comments:

Mimi said...

oh, I miss the Amy laugh! I'm kinda short on people to laugh at my corniness.

Amy said...

I miss laughing at your corniness, Mims! :)