I think Alex sabotages the Internet connection when he goes away, because this is the second time he's gone away and the second time it's gone out! Anyway, I'm writing this at work while covering reception because it's too distracting to get anything else done, and I will stop at the library on my way home to post it.
Trivia: Since no one took a stab at it, I will tell you anyway. The didgeridoo comes from the Aborigines that live in the nothern region of the country, up near Darwin. If you haven't looked at them yet, there are some photos in the newest sets (Woodford - on the Picasa link) of a Didgeridoo-Making Workshop that was at the festival. Ok, new trivia question: How many states are there in Australia (and can you name them)? (If it makes your brain hurt too much, don't worry - most Aussies don't know the answer off the top of their head, they have to count. Hint: They can count them on two hands.)
Pretty quiet week - just book club last night. We discussed A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers and chose the next book, Praise by Andrew McGahan, because I wanted to read something by an Australian about Australia. In the big bookstore here (the Aussie version of Barnes and Noble), they have a whole section on Australian authors, which I think is a really cool feature. I also pronounced the name of the store (Dymocks) as DIE-mocks, and everyone got the look of confusion and then burst out laughing. "Oh no, what did I do now?" Apparently it's pronounced "dimmicks." We all had a good laugh about that one! That's about all that's going on here.

1 comment:
trivia: my guess is 8 states. i haven't the slightest clue as to their names, although we stared at a map together for over an hour and planned various routes of travel. i memorize science much better :P
good question though!!
now, can i please please please look it up?? thanks :)
Post a Comment