Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Long Weekends

Dear USA,
Happy MLK Day!
Love,
Tuesday

I was talking to the other American here at work (the one from Grosse Pointe) today when another attorney informed him that yesterday/today was "some sort of holiday in the US". He said, "Really?" and I chimed in with, "Martin Luther King day, of course!" Oh, how quickly they forget :) It's a little weird not just because it was Tuesday here, but also because this coming weekend is the holiday here, Australia Day (observed Jan. 26 or next working day - in this case Monday). When I was talking to my mom this weekend I mentioned that to her and she asked me if people wish each other a "Happy Australia Day". Alex happened to be passing through the room so I asked him and he laughed at me! In fact, I believe he said something along the lines of, "You're usually too drunk to wish anyone anything." This seems to be the general pattern of an Australian holiday: head to the beach/camping ground, drink too much, and fire up the barbie!

Sunday was also a phenomenon called Big Day Out. There is some controversy among the housemates and co. about whether this used to be held on Australia Day weekend or not, but in any case now it is the weekend before. It is basically a coordinated effort in the big cities across the country to get as many people as sunburned, dehydrated, deafened and happy as possible in one big day of outdoor musical acts. I didn't go (see the rainforest entry :)) but Alex and Ray went and had a great time. Alex was a volunteer, which meant that he wandered around spraying people with water. I'm not sure how effective that was but he seemed happy.

Update: Apparently Big Day Out is not all on one day, but is like a big tour of bands, so each weekend they hit different cities.

No comments: