So, after a lot of thought, I've decided to make my way up to Brisbane. I have a job lead up there that sounds pretty for sure, but even if not, I've decided that it sounds like a city that is more my speed than Sydney. I have also learned that it is important to be flexible and even more important to do what feels right to me even if it means going my own way, rather than sticking to what may be comfortable for now but in the end is not fulfilling my needs. There is not much program support in Brisbane, but plenty of people have gone there to work so I'm not worried. I have enjoyed my time in Sydney and am looking forward to coming back as I travel (I'm for sure flying out through Sydney at the end), but it is time to get out and get going on things so I can stop stressing about them! The next and hopefully last big hurdle will be finding a place to live. The other night, I met a girl from Scotland who had lived at a hostel the whole time she was working in Brisbane. Apparently the rates are comparable but I'd rather have an apartment and just a couple of roommates. We'll see.
Anyway, tonight I get on a bus to Brisbane and get there tomorrow mid-morning. It sounds a little ridiculous, I know, it's about 16 hours on a bus, but there were many reasons I decided to do it this way. First of all, if I'm really able to sleep on the bus, it's one less night of accommodation I'll have to book. I also won't have to worry about losing my bag, clearing security, or getting to and from the hostels (the bus stations are very close to both hostels). Finally, it's just plain cheaper.
Then, I'll meet with this lady, Barbara, about the job on Thursday. She's been so helpful and patient with me through all of these struggles (most importantly, I didn't get my cell phone until today, which made our original plan to talk on Monday a bit difficult, especially since she wasn't available when I called from the pay phone), so I'm hopeful.
Oh, one important note about Brisbane: Apparently the whole state of Queensland just elects not to do daylight savings (since it's summer here), so it's an hour earlier there than Sydney. If you're using the world clock (::cough, cough:: Mom) just select Australia: Queensland: Brisbane.
An exciting discovery: my iPod has an alarm feature! Handy, since I managed not to pack an alarm clock. Although someone pointed out that you'd have to hook it up to speakers, but luckily I have them! Just not terribly practical for a hostel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
very very good plan, Ames. I am so impressed by you!
Post a Comment