Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Day 1

My first day of work went pretty well. It's a fairly small office, maybe 50 staff members, and they're pretty nice. I was given a few different tasks during the day and it passed quickly. The company is going to a new database so I need to import all the information from the old one and make sure it's all up-to-date (it's mostly contact info), which is the hard part. I was also given a stack of business cards of contacts someone made at a conference, with chicken-scratch notes on the back to decipher and enter into the database as notes along with the people's contact info, so that was a lot of fun. On the plus side, I can listen to my iPod at work, which will help keep me from going too crazy ;) They are going to rent me out to a company they do business with who needs some help right before Christmas as two employees go on maternity leave, so that should spice up life a bit - I'll get to ride a bus for three weeks! The excitement never ends...

One of the highlights (besides learning that the ladies in the office gather for tea every day at 11am) was that an American coworker stopped by to chat with me. Turns out he's from Grosse Pointe Woods which, relatively speaking, is close to where I grew up, so that was exciting. Also turns out we lived in many of the same places: Detroit, Ann Arbor for school, DC, Washington State. He gave me some tips on living here, which was nice. All in all, a good first day.

2 comments:

Alice said...

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Imagine finding a co-worker from metro Detroit! Talk about a small world!!!!

Unknown said...

allo... Happy Thanksgiving! I absolutely love reading the blog... keep 'em coming. Miss you, we'll talk soon... XO