Saturday, November 10, 2007

Sydney adventures!

Last night I didn't have energy for much more than finding an ATM and some food and taking a quick shower before bed. But I did venture out into the big city on my own! I thanked Becca in my head last night, and again today, for teaching me as we traveled together in Poland a few years ago, to bite the bullet and get the heck out of the hostel. What I did manage to get for dinner was promising-sounding falafel, but it was about as good as you might expect Australian falafel to be, even though the guys who sold it to me looked and sounded Middle Eastern. Oh well.

Today I walked my poor little feet off! I meant to go to the Royal Botanic Gardens but got distracted by the Harbour (Harbour Bridge; Opera House) and climbing the Harbour Bridge. Well, I didn't do the whole bridge, as you will see as soon as I can post the photos - the real climb is insane, so I might do it later :) But you can go up to a lookout tower thing, which was cool. Then I grabbed some lunch and finally made it to the Royal Botanic Gardens, which were amazing. I spent a while just sitting, listening to music, soaking in the scenery, people watching, and getting sunburned (oops).

I took my time coming back, partly because my feet hurt and partly because I kept getting distracted by things. On the way back, I passed the public library (I refrained from taking a photo... although the building is beautiful), St. Mary's Church, the Great Synagogue, and went through most of Hyde Park, which is also amazing. I also managed to secure housing for tomorrow and Monday nights, which was making me a tad nervous (the program puts you up for two nights and then you're on your own, and my hostel was booked for Sunday night) but it's all set now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're glad you made it Down Under safely! We've enjoyed your blog and can't wait to see your next set of pictures. We miss you! Erin, Marc, Sam, Abby, and Caleb

Amy said...

Thanks guys! Glad to hear from you, I miss you too :) The photos were not uploading on the last computer I tried, but I'll try again soon.