Thursday, March 13, 2008

Quickie

Hey all, just a quick little post. The only downside to having free internet vouchers is finding a YHA hostel in the city to use them at! Went on a wild goose chase today so I'm resorting to my own hostel on the opposite side of the city, but hopefully will spend some quality time at the YHA tomorrow, uploading photos.

So what are these photos from, anyway? Sunday evening at this hostel in Melbourne, I met a crew of people who were heading for the Great Ocean Road by rental car the next day, and were gracious enough to give me a seat. It was a great trip and we had fun, despite a MASSIVE bout of what my family likes to call "curvy road disease". But all's well that ended well and I got some great photos of a place I had resigned myself to missing out on.

Tuesday one of those new friends and I hit the town: museums, Federation Square, and Botanical Gardens. It was a good day but I walked my feet off! Yesterday (Wednesday) I was on my own (Becca and Deb, I take it ALL back, I prefer being on my own!!! More on that later) and had a good healthy wander about town on my own. I first met up with the kids at the Melbourne office of the company I worked for in Brisbane, and we had lunch. Then I went to the Sofitel Hotel, whose 35th floor ladies' restroom has a pretty good view of the city (random, I know, but it was recommended by a coworker who used to live in Melbourne). I got a tad turned around in the gorgeous Fitzroy Gardens and finally made it back to the hostel.

Today I also headed off on my own and managed to hit St Kilda (was pretty much unimpressed but did have a lovely raspberry and mango sorbet in an attempt to escape the heat for a bit - it was in the upper 30s today - I think that's over 100F) and sadly that's all I can remember right now - internet time's about to be up! Photos soon~

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hehe. When I read that you had met all these people and hung out, I was really impressed and sort of jealous that you are so much better at meeting people than I am. Then I read the next sentence and remembered all the reasons I prefer to travel alone, or with someone to whom I can say, "I'm going to this museum for 3 hours, and you can come or not!" SOOOO glad you're having fun!