I had lived in the house for maybe a day or two when suddenly Mia turned to me and said (imagine Japanese accent), "Have you seen boosh tukkey?" I gave her the look of blankness, and she got up and gestured for me to follow her. She led me down the back stairs and into the yard, and pointed at the big mound in the corner, and its king, the bush turkey who has taken up seemingly permanent residence. Apparently the male of the species makes a mound in preparation for the eggs, buries them inside, and watches over them until they hatch. So far we haven't seen any eggs, but the mound just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I'm pretty sure one of my t-shirts is in there, and more than one sock, either nicked from the clothesline or snatched up when the wind blew them off. In any case, I definitely do not want them back! I did see him crossing the street one day on my way home, so I think he goes out to steal things from other people's yards too. He's been gone for a few days, who knows what he's up to. Bush turkeys are actually everywhere, on the University of Queensland campus, at our campsite a few weeks ago, in the park. Sort of like squirrels... who steal your stuff! Anyway, here are some photos of him and his pile:


4 comments:
That's awesome!!! I want a bush turkey!!!
Ha! Well I'll try to smuggle him home, but customs might get upset with me...
Does he have a name, Amy?
Apparently they used to call him "Ketsu nuana," or ketsi for short, which is not a very nice thing to call someone in Japanese. (Mia yelled at the boys for teaching me that word!) But mostly we call him "($%#@) boosh tukkey"!
Post a Comment