Monday, February 11, 2008

A Very Aussie Sunday

Trivia: Rachel wins the prize again, it is indeed the super cool emu and kangaroo. (Deduct one point for use of "totes" ;))

New Trivia: Which of the following is NOT an Australian tourist attraction?
a) The Big Pineapple
b) The Big Penguin
c) The Big Mango
d) The Big Prawn
e) The Big Banana
f) The Big Buffalo
g) The Big Egg

So yesterday Dan and I met up with two of the book group girls at a movie at the Moonlight Cinema called Hunting and Gathering (with Audrey Tautou, aka Amelie). We took blankets and wine and a little dinner - and of course the Aerogard (bug spray)! It was a lovely evening.

Before that, Alex, Dan and I watched The Castle. It's worth mentioning that every person I've told that to has immediately grinned in recognition and nostalgia. It's the hilariously mocking story of a bogan (white trash) family who lives right next to the airport outside Melbourne and go to court to save their house from being bought and torn down by the airport. Brilliant. As I said, everyone I've mentioned it to knows it, even though it was only made about 10 years ago, and I feel very Aussie for having seen it.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I thought everything was bigger in TEXAS, not Australia!!

Rachel Adler said...

I'm on a roll here. I'm going to go with the The Big Buffalo. We all know that the buffalo roam on the range in the United States of America, and not on the range of wannabe Oz. You leave our native mammals alone.

P.S. I believe you meant to say "10extra points to Rachel for use of the word totes," as it is the awesomest word ever, with the added bonus of saving you two syllables.

Amy said...

Fine, plus 10 points, but then minus 12 for the argument canceling out the saved syllables :P