First, trivia. I have to apologize - it turned out this was a trick question as my internet research apparently came up short. Sooooo... they are all tourist attractions - including, yes Rachel, the Big Buffalo. Good guess though, and I love the reasoning out ;)
New Trivia: There are 851 World Heritage Sites. How many are in Australia? (Bonus points if you can name any!)
a) 4
b) 62
c) 109
d) 17
The other night, I was watching the Australian version of the US show So You Think You Can Dance. In addition to having much more diversity than most US reality shows, because this one included an Aboriginal man there was an interesting disclaimer at the beginning of his segment that piqued my curiosity. For those unfamiliar with this type of competitive reality show, they do a little biographical segment on the dancers before they do their routine. In this one, they showed footage of the dancer's mother, and so before the segment they showed the disclaimer "The following shows footage of an Aboriginal or Torrest Strait Islander who has passed away." A quick google search revealed that "[i]n many Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, the depiction or mention of a person who has passed away can cause great distress to people, as can showing their image through visual media. Even using the same name as the deceased person, or a similar sound, can cause distress for a period of time." Very interesting!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Ames, where are you now? I mean if you had to be out of your room on Saturday...?
She just needed her furniture back for her new place; I'm in the same room, just sans furniture (other than a bed). Don't fret - I'm not homeless!
phew!
Post a Comment