Friday, February 22, 2008

Lost in Australia

Actual conversation overheard between Alex and his friend Martek:
M: "I finally saw the Lost episodes."
A: "Oh yeah? How'd you find it?"
(Since I only caught that bit, I didn't realize they were talking about the tv show Lost and thought Alex was just being sassy ;))

Alex had "The Lost Kids" over for dinner and the season premiere last night. He had warned me on Wednesday that he was "booking" the kitchen from 8:30-9:30, and the lounge room (living room) from 9:30-10:30. When I got home, he was cooking up a storm, with sous-chef Mia chopping madly to keep up. Upon approving my request to be admitted to the party for dinner, he promptly sent me out to the store in search of more vegetables to be added to the cold rolls (Korean - think Chinese vegetarian spring rolls, only not fried), kangaroo fried rice, and soup. I forget what the soup was called but it was some sort of Asian cuisine where you put a bunch of stuff in your bowl (rice, potato, lettuce, cabbage, carrot, etc) and then pour just enough soup over it to get everything soaked and mushy. Delicious.

Good company too - I got to meet the famous Kate, sister of Jen (you may recall I met Jen and Kate's parents who drove all over Australia (and Europe) in a van - see "Mealtime and Roadway Fun," Tues Dec 4, 2007 - on the righthand side under "blog archive"). At one point Kate and I were talking about her childhood, and she said that for about three years (she was 11-14, her sister was 13-16), they moved around from Adelaide up to Darwin. I must have looked completely unfazed by this, because she said, "Wow, you really did meet my parents! Most people don't believe me!" Also present were Matt, Alex, Mia, Dan, me, and Jordan and Jill. Instead of crowding the eight of us around the kitchen table, we took everything out back (next to the turkey pile) and had a little picnic on what Mr. Turkey had left us of the patio furniture that was out there!

I am currently reading Bill Bryson's Australia book, called "Down Under" (the US title is "In A Sunburned Country"). Anyone who hasn't read any of his stuff, I highly recommend it. Start with "A Walk in the Woods," his account of hiking part of the Appalachian Trail. Absolutely hilarious. Anyway, I started this book, lent to me by a coworker here, a while back and it was so upsettingly dry and unfunny that I actually abandoned it for a while. I must've either lowered my expectations or picked up again just as it got funny, but now it's back (almost) to the Bill Bryson I've come to appreciate. I think I pulled a muscle laughing the other night!

Today's high: 28 C (about 82 F). Tomorrow's high: 36 C (about 97 F)! (For more temperature conversion fun, see the link on the righthand side!)

To do this weekend:
1. Go to pool.
2. Go to beach.
3. Try not to die of over-sweating/sticking-to-couch-itis.

Looking forward to the heat for a change - it's been cool and rainy here!

No comments: