Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Little Sister Syndrome

I have gotten so used to the Australian accent that I am startled when people do a double-take when I open my mouth, or when they ask me if I'm Canadian. Which brings me to another point: Little Sister Syndrome. Also known as "They're Onto Us". The relationship that Australia has with New Zealand is very much like our relationship with our lovable neighbors to the frozen north. They are our little sisters, and I say that with all the respect that comes with being a little sister oneself. They are self-righteously indignant at constantly being compared with their big sister and scoff at anyone who tries to do so, while the big sister looks on in amusement, pushing away the little one's head at arm's length while she flails her too-short arms in frustration.

Anyway, the point is that Aussies have learned how not to offend our little sisters, the Canadians: when one detects a North American accent, it is safest to guess they are Canadian. If you're right, the Canadian will be pleased as punch. If you're wrong, the American will be amused but certainly not offended. Take note if you ever come across an accent you're not sure is New Zealand or Australian: guess New Zealand!

No comments: